What can you define the word “DEPRESSION”?
According to Cambridge dictionary, depression is a mental illness in which a person is very unhappy and anxious (= worried & nervous) for long periods and doesn’t have a normal life during these periods. Another definition is a major depressive disorder, which is a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act.
I want to mention that the difference between sadness and depression. You can imagine that when the death of a loved one, losing a job or the ending of a relationship is difficult to experience for a person to endure. It is a normal feeling of sadness or grief to develop in response to such a situation. Those experiencing loss often might describe themselves as being “depressed”. However, being sad is not the same as having depression. The grieving process is natural and unique to each individual and shares some of the same features of depression. Both grief and depression may involve intense sadness and withdrawal from usual activities.
Moreover, when I search the word ” DEPRESSION” on the Internet, I find a lot of information about the depression symptoms which can vary from mild to severe. Let me summarise these causes which are 3 things:
- Firstly, I think that connects with health strongly. For a typical example, changing in appetite, losing weight a lot, and getting trouble sleeping too much.
- Secondly, about thinking, Iet me explain that when you always feel worthless or guilty, difficulty thinking, concentrating, making a decision and thought of death or suicide. (For instance, when a person try hard to get IELTS 7+ but he or she doesn’t feel excited during this period, it may make he or she get stuck in trouble such as feeling and thinking.)
- Last but not least, activities, for instance, you lose interests or pleasure in activities, and you increase the purposeless physical activities (such as hand-wringing and pacing.) –
Furthermore, the risks of factor that depression can affect anyone – even a person who appears to live in relatively ideal circumstances.
- Biochemistry: Differences in certain chemicals in the brain may contribute to symptoms of depression.
- Genetics: Depression can run in families, for example, if one identical twin has depression, the other has a 70% chance of having the illness sometime in life.
- Personality: People with low self-esteem, who are easily overwhelmed by stress or who are generally pessimistic appear to be more likely to experience depression.
- Environmental factors: Continuous exposure to violence, neglect, abuse or poverty may make some people more vulnerable to depression.
Have ever you ask yourself how many people have depression in VietNam and in the world?
As far as I know, according to the article which I search on the Internet, in Hanoi some 3.6 millions of Vietnamese are suffering from depression, accouting for 4% of the total population. The risk of suicide in people with depression is 25 times higer than in people without mental disoder. Each year, some 5000 Vietnamese and 800 000 people worldwide commit suicide and depression, which is one of the leading of causes. With student, the main thing that leads to this extremely serious problem is study. Moreover, many company in Vietnam are regarded people who have a high level of knowledge, in particular IELTS degree (7.0+) so this main factor make the students get struck in studying.
So what is the solutions for this serious problem?
Depression is among the most treatable of mental disoder. Therefore, having 3 methods is used for patients by doctors.
- Medication: Brain chemistry may contribute to individual’s depression and may factor into their treatment. For this reason antidepressants might be precribed to help modify one’s brain chemistry.
- Psychotherapy: or “Talk therapy” is sometimes used alone for treatment of mild depression for moderate to severe depression, psychotherapy is often used in along with antidepressant medications. Cognitive behavioral therapy stands for CBT that has been fond to be effective in treating depression, which focus on the present and problem solving that helps a person recognize distorted thinking and then change behavior and thinking.
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a medical treatment most commonly used for patients with severe major depression or bipolar disoder who have not responded to other treatments. It involve a brief electrical stimulation of the brain while the patient is under anesthesia.
- Besides, we also have other ways to solve such as doing regular exercise (this helps create possitive feeling and improves mood), getting enough quality sleep on a regular basic, eating a healthy diet and advoiding alcohol (a depressant). These activities can also help reduce symptoms of depression. (For typical example, when you have a right method to learn IELTS, especially getting a degree IELTS 7+, you may have the interest of studying and feel excited to learn new things in the world. Another example, when you use healthy beverages such as detox or a health diet, you may feel stronger and have more energy in your body.)